- Many hikes and walks begin at Smuggler’s Den Campground. Some of the trails accessible from Smuggler's Den Campground are: Beach Mountain, Western Mountain, Acadia Mountain and the Long Pond Trail.
- The Island Explorer Free Bus Service will take you virtually any where on Mount Desert Island that you want to go. You do not have to take your car to Bar Harbor or to tour the Park Loop Road if you do not want to. It is very safe and convenient and picks up and drops off right at our office.
- Acadia National Park is the second most visited national park in the United States, is 35,000 acres in area and includes over 40 miles of coastline.
- The Rockefeller Carriage Roads provide a wonderful opportunity to walk, run or bike over more than 40 miles of Acadia National Park without the annoyance of vehicular traffic.
- On the Eastern side of the Island you can travel the park loop road by car, bicycle or tour bus. Drive or hike Cadillac Mountain where you can be the first to see the sunrise on the east coast each morning along with other beautiful mountain hikes and coastal walks at all levels of difficulty.
- Tea and Popovers at the Jordan Pond House in Northeast Harbor. For more than a century it has been a summer tradition to walk or hike the lovely trails near Jordan Pond and afterwards enjoy an afternoon rest and snack at The Jordan Pond House.
- Swim at our heated pool with slide and kiddy pool or Acadia National Park’s Echo Lake Sand Beach is just a 20-minute walk.
- Canoe and Kayak rentals and tours for the lake or ocean.
- Golf at the ocean-side 9 hole Causeway Club golf course here in Southwest Harbor or at Kebo Valley’s 18 hole Golf Course in Bar Harbor.
- Southwest Harbor offers grocery markets, banks, all sorts of restaurants, gift and antique shopping.
- The Quietside or western side of Mount Desert Island features the Seawall area of Acadia National Park along with Ship Harbor, Wonderland and the Bass Harbor Head Light House (considered by some to be the most photographed light house in the world).
- The Bar Harbor Music Festival runs the entire month of July.
- The Mount Desert Oceanarium (two locations - Southwest Harbor and Bar Harbor) Visitors can interact and enjoy close up views of our coastal flora and fauna.
- The Great Maine Lumberjack Show in Trenton is a fun and exciting stop for the entire family.
- There are many Island Boat Cruises to choose from – whale watching, sailing, sightseeing, deep sea fishing and lobstering.
Southwest Harbor - Tremont Chamber of Commerce
Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce
Acadia National Park
The Jordan Pond House
Maine Coast Cinema
The Mount Desert Oceanarium